Thursday, February 3, 2011

the Win ain't Epic but it's still Awesome

Last semester I moved into a new dorm room in the older dorms of my University.  I had been in the new, but temporary, suite-style dorms where everyone had there own bedrooms and only had to share a bathroom with one other person.  I liked my old dorm, but this new older dorm was even better.  While I do have to use commnal bathrooms and showers now, the showers are bigger and I know that both showers and toilets are cleaned more often (thus more germ-free) than the bathroom that I was responsible for cleaning.  And while I did have to share my new room with a very awesome girl that was took me straight under wing and tried to help me meet new people and adjust to being homesick, now I have a much larger room all to myself: including the living area and kitchen and bedroom.
I really like being alone in a more definite sense and there are really so many perks to living here that it is hard to feel unhappy in my room.  It's all my decorations and all my stuff and I can leave it as messy as I want whenever I want because it is all my option if I want to let people see it or not.  And living in an older dorm means that there are older laundry and vending machines.  So, while my softener needs a downy ball to keep my clothes unstained and the dryer doesn't get all my clothes dry on the first run, it's free.  And I had the same issue with the dryers at my old place where washing was $2.50 a load. 
Then there is the vending machine.  Everytime I have used it I have felt super happy.  I, to be honest, only recently discovered it thanks to my friend, but it is super nice.  I think I'm one of the only people in my dorm to use it so that means soda all to me! ; ) and I have figured out how to play it.  It's an old machine, one of the one's that I figured out how to rig early in my childhood.  I may not be the most frugal, but when it comes to overpaying for drinks from a vending machine, Ima stretch my dollar.  So now, when I go to get a soda from this machine, I insert a dollar, press the soda that I want and then I select another and press that one (I can't give you the full secret, but that's enough...).  In the end, I get two cans of soda for fifty cents.  They're supposed to be seventy five cents each.  I put a dollar in the machine, as you may remember, and for each press of the soda button, I get twenty five cents change.  That's a fifty cent payout my friends, that's right.  To me, this is an epic win.  Many people don't feel the same way, but I know how it really is and therefore, um, it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment